Sunday, October 5, 2008

Snow on the Mountains!

Up until this weekend, the weather here has still been pretty summer-like. It has been in the upper 80's in the daytime and the 60's at night. But rain started falling Friday night, and the temperatures began to drop. By late afternoon yesterday, it was in the low 50's. There was a gorgeous blanket of clouds on the mountains. It looked like large bunches of cotton resting on the mountains. Here's a view from our back deck:


This morning, we woke up to snow on the tops of the mountains. It is absolutely gorgeous outside, and the weather feels much more like fall. Here are some pictures from this morning:



So, what else has been going on?
LDS General Conference--We had talked about maybe trying to go and get in to a session, but we have just been so busy the past few weeks, we were pretty tired and just decided to stay home and watch on TV. Some of you asked about the Saturday children's choir from Kaysville. Yes, there were kids from our ward singing in it, but unfortunately the kids were chosen and started practicing just a couple weeks before we moved here. So our girls just missed out on the opportunity. That would have been an awesome first time at Conference experience! But we had fun looking for kids we knew. Also, the girls' new piano and voice teacher is in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and we were excited to see her on TV.
Substitute Teaching--I have been really busy subbing. I have worked every school day except 2 that I took off on purpose. There is a really high need for subs, and several of the schools I have gone to have called me back. I do anything from kindergarten to high school, special ed, resource, fine arts, etc. I really like special ed and have been called back several times at one of the junior high schools, so I'm really getting to know the kids there. I was surprised to find that I enjoy teaching jr. high best. I thought I would like elementary more, but it seems a lot more like babysitting. A couple things I have learned/realized in my experiences: my girls are really smart and well behaved! I haven't been giving them nearly enough credit! And teachers REALLY don't get paid enough for what they do!
No Escaping a Long Commute--Last week it was made official. Sometime mid-year next year, Randy's office will be moving to Riverton, which is in the very south of the Salt Lake Valley. This will be about a 40+ minute commute from up here in Kaysville. It has been making us second guess our decision to move here. We looked at a lot of houses further south, including 2 that were within a couple miles of the new office. DOH! Well, the Church is negotiating bus service with UTA from downtown to the new office, so Randy may still be able to ride a bus (and have productive commute time.) We'll just have to see how it goes.
Graduate School?--I have been revisiting my earlier dreams of becoming a Marriage/Family Therapist. Now that I live relatively close to BYU (an hour away, but much closer than Texas!) I am looking into applying to graduate school there. Not surprisingly, BYU is one of the top schools in the country for Family Studies, and it's where I always wanted to go if I ever got a Master's Degree. Now that all the girls are in school, I have a little more freedom to pursue it. So I've been learning about the GRE exam and studying for it. I am a little rushed to get everything in by the January application deadline, but I figure I really am not out anything by trying for this year. If I don't get in, I'll just try again next year!
A Day out with Uncle Eric & Aunt Steph--Eric & Stephanie wanted to "borrow" the girls for the day, so last Saturday they went out to lunch and to a corn maze together, where Alison & Steph got lost! They also got their faces painted and got to go on some huge slides built out of hay bales. Also, there was a pig race, that they watched. They had a lot of fun and are looking forward to the next outing.
Well, that's about all we've got going on right now. We've loved hearing from some of you and would love to hear from others, too. Please keep in touch!

No comments: