
Alison & Samantha





Elisabeth & Savana



Emily & Sara




One day, Alison was washing Emily's hair and noticed a large bump on her earlobe by her earring. After closer inspection, she realized the back of the earring was INSIDE her ear lobe! We looked at both ears, and they were both grown over the back of the earring. I had never seen anything like that. The doctor said he sees this every few months, and it's caused by an allergy to metal causing the ear to get infected and then heal over the back of the earring. Emily had never said a word about her ears hurting! So we ended up having to get the earrings surgically removed (like we had so much time for that!) She was very brave through the procedure, and now has to let them heal over and can repierce them in a couple months if she wants.
On Sunday, we were getting ready for our last time in the Rockwall Ward. I was rushing down the stairs after getting the girls up and stepped on a rollerblade that someone (Elisabeth!) left at the foot of the stairs. My foot rolled under me, and down I went, screaming in pain. The girls came running to help, but I knew I couldn't get up off the floor. I sent them to get Randy, who had to pick me up. I tried to put a little weight on my foot, and the room started spinning and I saw stars. Immediately it began to swell up.
So I got to spend my last Sunday in Rockwall in the ER getting X-rays. I was shocked when the doctor said it wasn't broken, but severely sprained. I will be in a boot with crutches for several weeks--and during moving!
It was sheer torture to be recliner-bound for 3 days while we prepared for the packers to arrive. I had to rely on Randy, the girls, and friends from church to get stuff done. They all were very helpful, but I have a hard time not being in the thick of things and just trusting it's all getting done. Luckily, I had some good pain medication that put me to sleep, so I was able to zone out a lot of the time.
We were able to spend the evening with Randy's aunt and uncle, Clarice and Jerry Colegrove. It has been really nice to get to know them, and we were glad to be able to see them one last time before we took off.
Emily, Elisabeth, and I went to get haircuts. We wanted to get it done one last time before moving and having to search for a new hairdresser. Alison and Hannah didn't go, because they weren't feeling well. I thought the girls would just get their hair trimmed, but Elisabeth wanted it short. She got a cute "messy" cut, which makes her look older, I think (you can see it in the pictures above.) Emily really didn't want to cut hers off, but when we figured out it was long enough to donate to Locks of Love, she was excited and wanted to cut it off. Hers came out so adorable!


On Friday night, the Cox family hosted an open house for us, so friends could drop in and say goodbye before we took off. It was good to see everyone and have an evening to relax and enjoy ourselves. Here are some pics from the party:
Saturday morning, the Coxes and Brundages met us out at our house and helped us do some last minute things, and then we took a dip in the pool. Emily's friend, Sara, surprised us by showing up to play, too. All the girls had a fun time, but when it was time for us to go, Allie (Cox) started crying. Randy said he felt awful. We loaded up in the motor home and drove away, with sniffles and tears coming from the girls. It was surreal to be driving away from the home we worked so hard to build, not knowing if we'll ever see it again.
We got about 2 hours past Fort Worth, when Randy started feeling nauseous and had to pull over and stop. He had gotten whatever was bothering Alison and Hannah earlier in the week. With my injured foot, I was not able to drive, and now Randy was throwing up! So there we sat, in a Wal-Mart parking lot, letting precious time get away. He felt better enough in the morning to drive, but before we got to Utah, Elisabeth was also sick. Mine happened to hit after we arrived, and I was sitting in the orthopedist's office having my follow up visit for my foot. I was not feeling real well as I got into the office, and when he started poking around down there, I grabbed a garbage can and lost it. It was SO embarrassing!
This entire experience, since we decided to move, has been one trial after another. At one point I told Randy that every day I have some new stress to deal with. In some ways that made the actual move easier to deal with. It seems like sometimes when everything is going wrong, that's a sure sign that what you're doing is right.
Well, anyway, we're here now and waiting for the moving truck to make our delivery. We're looking forward to getting back to "normal" life.
No comments:
Post a Comment